The Gloucester Schooner Festival is a wonderful celebration of Gloucester's fishing and maritime history during labor day weekend. This year's festival, hosted by Maritime Gloucester1, is Gloucester’s major marine event, with participating vessels coming from ports along the Eastern seaboard and beyond. There will be both large and small vessels—ranging from 19 feet to over 100 feet in length. You will see new boats and old boats, from newly built (Ardelle - launched 2011) to over 100 years old!
Gloucester comes alive for this annual celebration, with lots of great family-friendly activities, music, parades (of sail) and fun events that make Gloucester a wonderful Labor day weekend destination.
Scheduled events include:
- A Boat Parade of Lights
- Parade of Sail
- The Mayor's Cup Schooner Race Off of East Gloucester
- Schooner Festival Fireworks
- Coast Guard Open House and Tours
Vessels that are scheduled to appear in the Gloucester Schooner Festival include [see the updated list]:
- Gloucester’s Schooner Thomas E. Lannon will lead the Parade of Sail
- Gloucester's Schooner Adventure2 will host the Mayor's Reception
- Schooner Ardelle3 the Maritime Gloucester Flagship
- Green Dragon from Manchester
- Bald Eagle of Gloucester
- Redbird of Cape Ann (Owner Daisy Nell!)
- Sugar Babe of Gloucester
- Adventurer of Norwalk, Connecticut
- The American Eagle of Rockland Maine
- Eileen Marie
- Fame of Salem, Massachusetts
- Heart's Desire
- Hindu of Provincetown, Massachusetts
- Irena of Connecticut
- Liberty Clipper
- Light Reign
Local Museums & Vessels hosting free visiting hours during the festival include:
Festival-goers won’t want to miss Gloucester’s many attractions, including art exhibits, beaches, biking, hiking, adventure, fishing, museums, dining, historical sites, whale watching, great entertainment, fireworks and more!
Drone Video: Gloucester Parade of Sail
1 Martime Gloucester's wharf will be closed during the 2016 Gloucester Schooner Festival, so many events hosted there in the past will take place at nearby Habor Loop or other centrally located venues in Gloucester.
2 Please note that Schooner Adventure is temporarily docked at the State Fish Pier on Parker Street in Gloucester due to the closure of the wharf at Maritime Gloucester.
3 Please note that Schooner Ardelle is temporarily moored in Gloucester Harbor due to the closure of the wharf at Maritime Gloucester, and will be embarking and disembarking passengers at the Gloucester Harbor Master's Pier at Harbor Loop next to Maritime Gloucester.