Join Mass Audubon's Joppa Flats Education Center naturalist Lisa Hutchings on cruise aboard Newburyport Harbor Tours Inc.'s Yankee Clipper in search of seals in the Merrimack estuary! Your family will see all the exciting sights and sounds of Newburyport and Plum Island as you cruise along the Merrimack River.
Bring your binoculars or borrow a pair to see herons, egrets, terns, & cormorants, as well as many marine mammals and other surprises. Try out some water chemistry and observe live plankton under a microscope. Learn about the Merrimack River watershed, our estuary, and examine live plant samples. Observe and handle LIVE intertidal animals like snails & crabs from our tide pool tanks. Every child will receive a coloring packet and each registered party will receive a bird checklist to take-home!
- For kids aged 4-12.
- Meet at the Newburyport Boardwalk 15 minutes prior to departure time.
- The Yankee Clipper is U.S. Coast Guard certified with all necessary safety equipment.
- All children must be accompanied by an adult.
- We will run this program in all weather except thunderstorms or small craft warnings.
- If we cancel the program, we will issue full refunds or program credits.
The deadline for preregistering for this program is 4:00 pm on the day before the program. Register by phone: with a credit card by calling 978-462-9998.