Also known as Snake Hill.
In the Early History of Beverly, this area was referred to a Sanke Hill Commons. Sally Milligan Park was a gift to the citizens of Beverly from Hugh Taylor Birch who gave the original thirty-one acres to the city in 1933. He intended the park to be a memorial to his mother, Sally Milligan Birch. Mr. Birch wanted the park to be a place where residents of Beverly, especially women and children, could go and enjoy and learn from nature. He conveyed his instructions for the care of the park as follows: