Come to northeastern Massachusetts and southeastern New Hampshire for great winter birding and a chance to compete with other birders. The Superbowl of Birding is a unique, 12-hour team competition, where teams of birders of all ages and abilities seek out the greatest number of species and amass the most points based on the rarity of the birds recorded. Compete for prizes in 10 categories, from the Newbies Award to the esteemed Zeiss Joppa Cup. Enjoy spectacular winter birding and find out just how good you and your team really are! Sponsored by Joppa Flats Education Center, and Zeiss.
The competition is designed to encourage birders of all ages and abilities to participate. The Fledgling Award competition is for birders ages 12 and under. The NewBies Award is for birders ages 18 and under. Adults can compete for prizes in eight other categories, including our top prize, the Zeiss Joppa Cup. The Superbowl of Birding XIV is your chance to enjoy spectacular winter birding in one of the best locations in the eastern United States, meet other birders, and show just how good you and your team really are.
The event consists of activities targeted for all levels of birders. Among ten categories of prizes:
- The Zeiss Joppa Cup: Awarded to the team that collects the most points overall
- Director's Award: Greatest Number of Species
- Essex County Excels Award: Most points in Essex County
- Rockingham County Award: Most points in Rockingham County
- Parker River NWR Award: Most points on the refuge
- Townie Award: Award for the greatest number of species tallied from a single municipality
- Seekers Award: Award for the first team to complete the special Seekers checklist
- Fledgling Award: Award for the first team to complete the special Fledgling checklist
- NewBies Award: Award for the greatest number of points tallied by any team with 2 or more members 18 years of age or younger
- Lifer Award: Participant who sees the most new life birds during the competition
The registration fee includes the post-competition pizza party and prizes. For registration materials, rules, and information, please go to The Mass Audubon Superbowl Page or call 978-462-9998.
- Registration is required.
- A parent or guardian must accompany children.
- Suitable for Children 6-12.
- Minimum age: 6 years.
- Please dress appropriately for the weather.