Ukulele of Boston, The Friends of Cutler, and Cutler String Jam Presents Ukulele Melee 2017! The Ukulele Melee is a day of workshops, performances and ukulele fun! This year’s event will take place on June 10th at the Cutler School in Hamilton from 12 to 4:30 p.m. The headliners for 2017 will be featuring Jim and Liz Beloff. Tickets sold at the door. Parking is free. All proceeds are being donated to the Ukulele Kids Club.
There will be two stages, the main cafeteria stage and the coffee house stage.
- 12-12:40 Strum Along with Jerry
- 12:40-12:45 Ukulele Kids Club
- 12:45-1:00 String Jam
- 1:00-1:15 Ukulele Fusion
- 1:15-1:45 Strum Along with Chuck
- 1:45-2:30 Workshops (listed below)
- Frequently Asked Questions for Intermediate and Beginners:
- Taught by Michael Chung. This informal class is designed to fill in the blanks for newer ukulele players.
- Hula Dancing:\
- Taught by Melissa Dullea, a hula instructor in Somerville MA with the group Hui Lehua.
- Hula is a story-telling dance, giving voice to the deeds of Hawaiian people and the beauty of special places.
- This workshop will teach an introductory hula dance to the song “Lovely Hula Hands” written in 1939 by R. Alex Anderson.
- Sea Shanties:
- Taught by Jeff Wellin. Songs from the sea have many styles, moods and sources. We will learn some songs selected to show some of this variety, and that sit well on the ukulele. Come journey with us and learn some work songs, stories and ballads. This may be challenging to absolute beginners, but most of the songs will use simple chords and strums – the focus will be on the songs themselves more than on playing techniques.
- Faux Bass:
- Taught by Art Munger. This workshop offers an option to traditional ukulele strumming. The workshop is suited to ukuleles with a Low-G string. But hey, try your re-entrant tuned uke anyway; get the finger mechanics down and then apply later to your Low-G’s. This technique can make ukulele accompaniment more interesting. In music with multiple versus, players can alternate between standard strumming and the alernative discussed here.
- Ukulele Bass with Dave:
- Taught by Dave Fuchs This workshop will include bass basics, scales, chords, and playing out of the box. Then, students will use what they have learned to play a Paul McCartney song.
- Protest Songs:
- Taught by Tin Pan Haole or John Hicks.
- This workshop will teach songs of Protest.
- 2:30-3:30 Jim Beloff workshop
- 3:30-3:44 Student led performance and strumming record breaking “Rockin Robin”
- 3:45-4:30 Jim Beloff Concert
(Food and drinks will be sold here with tables and chairs. People will be here to eat and listen during the course of the event. This will offer a small audience to those who would like to just jam or perform in a less formal environment.)
- 12:30-1:45 Open Mic
- 1:45-2:30 workshop
- 2:30-3:00 All workshop performers can come down and show off what they learned.
- 3-3:30 Kids strum along will be run by Melissa Graham.
- 3:30-3:44 – Everyone needs to go to the cafeteria for participate in the strum off.